Wednesday 7 March 2012

Hello Kitty Baby Blanket


I finally made my very first minky baby blanket!  I've wanted to make one of these for a long time but minky fabric is very hard to come by here in the UK and it is much more expensive then it is in the US. However, when a dear friend of mine found out that she was going to have a little girl AND since she loves Hello Kitty, I just had to make one. Remember this post on Hello Kitty fabric from Liberty?

There are a ton of tutorial out there on the internet so I didn't use one specific one. I got the basic idea from reading a few and went from there. However, I did use these helpful tips on sewing with minky from delia creates and Sew Much Ado.

A few important take aways:

  • Pin your fabric like crazy (I ended up pinning every 1"-1.5").
  • Use a walking foot if you have one to avoid puckering (my machine is lucky enough to have one of these settings).
  • Minky tends to stretch and there were a few moments when I thought I'd end up with a lumpy mess. But is also very forgiving. By the time I sewed the finishing seam all the had lumps worked themselves out.

The finished product. I know the pictures are horrible but I can often only sew at night when Little Miss is asleep! Plus my friend really liked it so I guess that's all that matters.



(hello kitty fabric is from liberty, coral minky fabric is from theeternalmaker)

No comments:

Post a Comment